Skip to main content

Paynetown School

Item

Description

Paynetown School / Paynetown Holliness Church, Paynetown School is located on Paynetown Hill just about 200 yards from Paynetown Road. It was built by the state during 1919-1920. This school was used regularly as a grammar school until 1965, when it was closed. Shortly afterwards it was sold to be used as a church. Paynetown Holliness Church - Paynetown Church began with services in the homes of members and was organized as a church under a cherry tree at the house of a member. They built the church which is now Payntown Chapel and after a few years consolidated the two congregations together. After Payntown School was closed in 1965 the trustees purchased the school building and land from the county for $710. Pastors of the church have been Gertrude Craven, Joe B. Brim, and Clarence Minor. It is a nice little church on a hill overlooking the Flat Rock community. Their average attendance is about 25, and services are held every 2nd and 4th Sunday.

Date

early 1920s

Rights

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-NC/1.0/

Format

Type

still image

Identifier

Flr_SCS_i20430.003_mam