Skip to main content

Pisgah School

Item

Description

photograph of Pisgah School in the Cross Roads Community of Dobson Township. This small frame structure has windows down only one side and in more recent years was used as a store. The Pisgah School is the best remaining example of an early 20th century African American school in Surry County. It was named for a nearby church. Pisgah School originally stood further south on SR 1338. It was moved to its present location ca. 1940 and later converted to a store. Typical of county schools of its period, Pisgah School is a small frame structure with entrance on the gable end. Large sash windows line one side of the school, providing ample light while while allowing the other side to be used for a blackboard space.

Source

Linwood Jones

Rights

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-NC/1.0/

Format

Type

still image

Identifier

Dob_SCS_i20424.001_mam
Dob_SCS_i20424.002_mam

Coverage