Flat Rock Presbyterian Church
Items related to Flat Rock Presbyterian Church
Photographs of the Flat Rock Presbyterian Church in the Flat Rock Community of Surry County (N.C.)
Flat Rock Presbyterian Church parsonage
Flat Rock Presbyterian Church congregation. The church is located one mile east of Mt. Airy at the Quarry. The history of the church is told by the elderly members. The church started as a Mission of the First Presbyterian Church of Mt. Airy as a Sunday School in the old Flat Rock School House by the Spaughs; Monroes; Valentines; McKinzies; Mitchells; McKellars; Leachs; Thompsons; Wrays; Davis; Sheltons; Gates; Riggs; Walkers; and Campbells; who were charter members of the church. The Corner Stone of the present Flat Rock Presbyterian Church was laid on September 12 1903. This event was the most important in the history of the church. Pastors of the First Presbyterian Church held night services in the newly organized church for some time. The first full time pastor Rev. R. L. Berry was called in 1923 and there have been several pastors to serve since the date. The land on which the church is located was donated by the Gilmers for use as a Presbyterian Church as long as needed. When no longer needed by the church it would be returned to the heirs of the donors. The present church property includes the Manse or parsonage and two additions to the original church. The additions constitutes an adequate educational building; remodeling of the sanctuary; and placing a Flammond Organ in the sanctuary along with the piano. The present church building and the manse are equipped with automatic heat while the original building was heated by an old cast iron pot bellied stove. The congregation is deeply grateful for their house of worship.
Booklet from 2003 with a history of the Flat Rock Presbyterian Church